Monday, May 10, 2010

Cyndi Lauper Feels Bad, and That's Correct

Donald Trump, you're wrong. Cyndi Lauper, you're right.

It's "I feel bad."

That's because "feel" is a linking, or connecting, verb. As its name indicates, a linking verb connects the subject with the adjective.

"I feel badly" means I'm very bad at feeling things. I run my fingers across the class and do a terrible job of it.

"I feel bad" means just that--I'm upset, sad, disappointed.

But, don't feel bad; lots of people get this one wrong.

5 comments:

Dr. Bruce said...

Make that "its name" rather than "it's name," and all will be well! I enjoy reading your posts!

Ema Glenda said...

Make that "its name" rather than "it's name," and all will be well! I enjoy reading your posts!

Joan Taber said...

Thank you, Ema, (When grammar people make mistakes, we make them horribly.)

LindaBee said...

On a related note, what about the "How are you?" "I'm good." issue? Is it just a regional difference that has me preferring "fine" or "well" or "doing well" instead of "good"? The original answer seems to say that the person is "good" versus "bad."

Joan Taber said...

I think it's not regional, but generational. (At least they're not feeling goodly.)